Reflection: How excited are you and your colleagues about your career and your work? And what fuels that sense of engagement?
These are the questions I’ve been asking LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses) as I prepare to speak at their upcoming provincial conference.
- Here are some of the practices they described:
- Paying attention to the good they are doing
- Actively mentoring new nurses – in both the technical skills and the ins and outs of professionalism
- Taking advantage of symposiums and upgrading events to keep up with new practices
- Arranging to work alongside knowledgeable colleagues who are skilled at sharing what they know
- Volunteering for assignments that stretch their skills
- Taking on admin and leadership tasks to test their abilities in new areas
- Thinking beyond the status quo and proposing changes that would improve service to patients and clients
- Saying yes to opportunities to serve the professional association