- They’ve gone out of their way to lend a hand or pave the way.
- They’ve committed their time and energy to something – perhaps even going above and beyond the call of duty.
- They’ve certified, qualified or been promoted.
- They’ve met or exceeded goals for sales, transactions, or deliverables – whatever is measured that’s deemed to count.
- They’ve met a mid point project milestone or wound it up completely and sent it on its way.
Celebrating what others DO is important.
So, too, is the celebration of who people ARE – their character and their way of being in this world.
- Perhaps someone is just naturally friendly or cordial – day in and day out.
- Perhaps someone is very approachable – the kind of person who injects warmth into every interaction with colleagues and clients.
- Perhaps someone is quick to quip – to crack a joke that lightens the mood.
- Someone may be especially compassionate – highly tuned to the feelings of others and skilled at finding just the right words in a tough situation.
These characteristics – often taken for granted or overlooked – don’t always trigger a reading on the old appreci-ometer.
But they could and they should; because it’s precisely these ways of being that make such a positive difference in our relationships and our workplace cultures. (more…)