Reflection: Back in January, a local TV station asked me to share a few ideas to help people cope with Blue Monday. That’s the Monday of the last full week in January – what is referred to by many as the most depressing day of the year.
While the Blue Monday pedigree is questionable, everyone has blue days and they don’t limit themselves to the month of January!
There’s no need to hold in reserve the strategies you can use to perk up your life when you’re feeling low.
Action: Here are five actions to perk up your life any time you need a boost:
- Get Outside. Walk, run, stroll or amble – makes no difference. Just get yourself out into nature and fresh air. Or if you can’t get out, then surround yourself indoors with things that are green and alive. And no, the mold in your shower stall does not count!
- Have A Laugh. Life is tough enough without taking everything that happens so seriously. Cultivate the funny folks in your life. Call on them to crack you up. If they’re not available, try the funny pages, a zany you tube bit, or one of the old classics. I’ve heard Abbot and Costello’s ‘Who’s On First’ at least a hundred times, and it still breaks me up.
- Learn Something New. We’re motivated by mastery – that challenge to get better at something that matters to us. Learning doesn’t always require a formal class. The world of Apps brings us lots of opportunities to tease our brains a few minutes at a time. I’m a big fan of Mind Snacks its engaging approach to teaching languages.
- Be of Service. Nothing will get you out of the doldrums faster than finding a way to serve someone else. Formally volunteering for a community organization is not the only way to do this. Think of a friend, a family member or a neighbor who could use a helping hand. Step forward and offer yours. Serving others will lift your own spirits just as much as theirs.
- Be Grateful. Sure, you’ve probably got a list of problems and irritations that would wear anybody down. But, you’ve also probably got a lot of of things that are going well or working in your favor. Heh, you’ve got the time and the ability and the equipment to read this message! That counts for something. Shine a light on the up side of your world and let it banish the blues.
Quotes Of The Week: Feelings are much like waves, we can’t stop them from coming but we can choose which one to surf. – Jonatan Mårtensson
If you’re feeling blue, try painting yourself a different color. – Hannah Cheatem (age 8)
There are always flowers for those who want to see them. – Henri Matisse
Video Resource Of The Week: The bulk of my Blue Monday interview for the TV station never made it out of the editing room and on the air. But, since I had already put together a few ideas, I decided to record them myself – just for you. So, here’s my own video version of Five Ways To Perk Life Up. Enjoy and share with anyone you think could use a lift!
Cost Savings To Book Pat: I’ll be in the Vancouver area the week of August 25th, so if you need a speaker for programming in BC at that time, heh, I’m already on your doorstep. Just give me a toll free call to chat about options: 877-728-5289
Tags: appreciation, attitude, Blue Monday, burnout, health, learning, motivation, overload, overwhelm, Pat Katz, Patricia Katz, pause, perspective, productivity, Saskatoon, speaker, stress, time out, wellness